MENU

      2 injured in North Charleston apartment fire

      NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- Two disabled people were injured in a North Charleston apartment fire Wednesday night.

      According to fire officials, two people were injured in the fire at Joseph Paul Apartments on Bonds Avenue. The two were taken to Medical University Hospital and then to the Augusta Burn Center.

      Officials did not have current conditions on the victims.

      Officials said the fire started around 8:20 p.m. and was contained to one apartment. When responding crews arrived, they reported heavy smoke and flames coming out of a first story window. There is smoke damage upstairs and fire damage downstairs, officials said.

      Two families were displaced by the fire. One of them is already being assisted by the Red Cross.

      Fire officials said the two-story apartment complex was not required to have a sprinkler system when it was built. Officials said there were smoke alarms, but they do not yet know if they were working at the time of the fire.

      Fire officials do not know how the fire started.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER