2 years later, family still waiting for trial to begin in cyclist's death

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) - A Charleston man is still looking for answers two years after his brother was killed on James Island while riding his bike. Since Matthew Denton's 2012 death, there have been few questions answered.

On Aug. 17, 2012, police say Department of Natural Resources officer Jeffery Thomas hit Matthew Denton on Riverland Drive. Witnesses say Thomas performed CPR before driving away.

Andy Denton, Matthew's brother, said he and his parents are still wondering when the suspect will go to trial. Until then, they relive that day.

"He went out to the beach on his bike," Andy Denton said. "Literally within a mile and a half from his house, around 8:15 p.m. or so was when he was struck and instantly killed."

Now memories of Denton's older brother fill his home. He even keeps a book full of letters and quotes written by his brother.

"He would quote, 'To love one another is to see the face of God,'" Denton said.

The photos remind Denton how special his brother was.

"He was a great big brother. He would let me tag along on everything he did from a very young age," Andy Denton said.

While the memories are good ones, they always trigger the somber reminder that the case against Thomas still hangs over the family's head.

"At this point, the case is still pending. The case is still open and he has yet to go to trial," he said. "And that's what we are hoping for."

Denton said he never expected the wait to go on for two years.

"Last year, we were alerted by the solicitor's office that there were other high-profile cases that needed to take precedence," Denton said.

But they remain hopeful that a trial will bring closure one day.

"We never heard anything from the driver. We never heard any reasons to what actually occurred that night. And you know, my parents deserve to know what happened to their son," he said.

Denton says he plans to keep his brother's story alive until he finds out what happened the night Matthew Denton died.

The solicitor's office declined to comment on the case because it is still pending. The sheriff's office said there is no new information in the case.