CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- An additional five volunteers from the Charleston area will be heading north to help with Hurricane Sandy recovery.
The Carolina Lowcountry Chapter of the American Red Cross made the announcement Wednesday.
"The Red Cross is working hard to get help where it is needed, but access into many areas is still difficult," the organization said in a news release. "We will expand our reach into more communities as soon as officials say it's safe."
So far, more than 2,300 disaster workers have been deployed to areas hit by the storm. The five extra workers from Charleston will be deployed late Thursday morning, bringing the total number of Lowcountry volunteers deployed to 12.
"Our first priority in any disaster is to get people the help they need," the news release said.