CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- Firefighters were sent to Charleston City Marina Monday morning after work crews found a container "off-gassing" in a trash can.
According to Charleston Fire Department officials, there was a one-gallon plastic jug with acid in it that started breaking down the plastic and produced the gas.
HazMat crews were called to dispose of the materials and the Department of Health and Environmental Control is investigating the incident.
Three people were taken to a nearby hospital as a precaution, officials said.
THe substance has not yet been identified.