CFD: Nassau St apartment fire caused by candles

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- Units from the Charleston Fire Department responded to a possible structure fire on Nassau Street Sunday night, said officials with the Charleston Fire Department.

Officials said crews responded to a "two story triplex residence" located between Line and Columbus street at about 5:57 p.m.

Officials said the fire was under control by 6:15 p.m.

CFD units saw smoke coming from the building, searched the residence and put out a fire in a first floor apartment. Officials said fire and smoke damage was contained to that first floor apartment.

Officials said a CFD fire marshal found the fire started because of candles left near a couch in the family room.

According to the Red Cross, volunteers provided assistance to two families that were living in the apartment building.

The families received financial assistance for food, clothing, temporary lodging, as well as comfort kits containing personal hygiene items, and referrals to partner agencies to help with the families' long term recovery.

Red Cross officials said this was the fifth fire they responded to this weekend.

According to the United States Fire Administration, an average of 42 home candle fires are reported every day.

The Charleston Fire Department would like to remind citizens of these safety tips:

  • Consider using battery-operated or electric flameless candles, which can look, smell and feel like real candles - without the flame.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can catch on fire.
  • Extinguish candles after use, before going to bed, or any prolonged absence from where the candle is located.
  • Keep candles, matches, and lighters out of the reach of children.
  • Check batteries monthly on smoke alarms. Install smoke alarms inside and outside of each sleeping area and on each level of your residence.