NCFD: Friday fires related to 'heating issues'

      File: Carter St. fire

      NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- Two fires that sparked Friday were accidents caused by careless heating, officials said Monday.

      According to Bianca Bourbeau with the North Charleston Fire Department, the first fire on Annette Street was caused by combustible materials being placed too close to the heater. A family of three was displaced after that fire. Their four dogs were also rescued.

      The second fire to happen on Friday was on Carter Road. Bourbeau said the family was using their oven to heat their home.

      Both fires were accidental and officials ask residents to consider the following safety tips.

      • Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, heating grate, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
      • Have a three-foot "kid-free zone" around open fires and space heaters.
      • Never use your oven to heat your home.
      • Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer's instructions.
      • Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
      • Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
      • Use modern UL listed portable heaters that include a tip feature which shuts off the portable electric heaters when they tip over.{}
      • Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
      • Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
      • Test smoke alarms monthly.
      • Have a family escape plan that you practice regularly