CFD: Spring Street apartment fire self extinguished

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- Residents of a four-unit apartment building on Spring Street came home Wednesday night to find their home full of smoke and called 911.

According to Charleston Fire Department officials, by the time firefighters arrived the fire had already "self extinguished."

Investigators found that the doors and windows to the unit were closed which limited oxygen to the flames, allowing it to burn itself out.

CFD officials said the first floor was heavily damaged by smoke and flames while the second floor was damaged by heal and smoke.

Crews searched the building to make sure the fire was out and the Red Cross gave assistance to displaced residents.

While a smoke alarm in a building next door had gone off two hours beforehand, no smoke was visible then. Fire crews found no working alarms in the affected unit.

Saint Andrews fire, Charleston police and Charleston County EMS also responded.

CFD Fire Marshall Mike Julazadeh offered up the following tips.

  • Always maintain working smoke alarms in your home -this will improve the safety of the occupants and may provide notification to neighbors or adjacent residences of a fire in your absence.
  • Never ignore a smoke alarm - when in doubt - call 911.
  • Every level of your residence should have a working smoke alarm. Smoke alarms should be tested monthly and batteries should be changed at least annually.
  • Remember to always dial 9-1-1 in the event of any unwanted fire.