Charges dropped against one man, filed against another in fatal street fight
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- The man charged with assault after a fatal street fight on King Street last month will go free, but another man has been arrested and charged with involuntary manslaughter in the case.
According to Charleston police, 24-year-old Dalton Ellis Clarke, of Mount Pleasant, was arrested and charged with involuntary manslaughter in the death of 27-year-old Clinton Seymour.
Clarke is being held in the Al Cannon Detention Center, police said. A bond hearing has been set for 2 p.m. Wednesday.
Earlier this week, court records show the charges against Peter Dudinyak had been dropped. He had been charged with first-degree assault and battery and simple assault. His attorney, Steven Harris, said they met with detectives Monday and came to the conclusion that police lacked evidence to try Dudinyak on the felony charge.
Dudinyak had been in police custody since April 26. He still faces the simple assault charge, police said Tuesday afternoon.
Seymour was "sucker punched" by Dudinyak, police said. The hit sent Seymour to the ground, where he hit his head. Seymour slipped into a coma and later died.
The coroner's office ruled Seymour's death a homicide.
According to the police report, several people ran from the area after Seymour was hit. Only Dudinyak was taken into custody, however.
A second man who was allegedly hit by Dudinyak told police that a black man, an Asian man, and a white man got into a black Lexus SUV and drove away after the fight. A witness told police that Dudinyak ran, but officers caught up to him.
Police have not announced other suspects in the case or made in other arrests in connection to Seymour's death. Harris said investigators are looking in another direction, however, but did not provide details on the police investigation.