CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- In the wake of an internal review accusing the military college of "being at odds with its own ideals," Citadel officials have announced an expanded partnership with Darkness to Light.
The review, performed by the college from January to July of this year, was highly critical of The Citadel's procedures on youth related programs. It even went so far as to call the Citadel an "incident waiting to happen."
These criticisms strike a chord as the school continues to deal, not only with the Skip ReVille scandal, but with new allegations that a senior cadet abused and sexually harassed other younger cadets.
"We've completed a risk assessment across our campus, for the next coming years and both of the risk assessment and our strategic plan really call for us to step up," said Citadel President, Lt. Gen. John Rosa. "And that's what we're doing."
To better protect minors on campus, the report recommended all employees, campus residents, students and volunteers receive Darkness to Light, stewards of children training.
Rosa announced the extended partnership with D2L Monday, including universal training. Faculty training will begin as soon as next week. Cadets will begin sexual abuse prevention training in January. In all, more than 3,600 people will go through the program.
"It's a combination of video, where they will watch video of adult survivors talking about this issue," said Jolie Logan, of Darkness to Light. "They also do some work in a workbook, and then there's discussion."
By next fall it will become part of The Citadel curriculum.
"We have a program called Citadel 101, it's an orientation for freshman," Rosa said. "We'll offer this training for freshman in Citadel 101."
Leaders say The Citadel is the only college in the country to offer the comprehensive training on child sexual abuse prevention. The college will pay more than $24,000 to D2L to fund the first year of training.
The training is mandatory every three years for faculty members.