Crews respond to fire at Anson Restaurant in downtown Charleston
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- Charleston firefighters responded to Anson restaurant in the City Market Tuesday afternoon. The call came in around noon when flames were seen coming from the exhaust vent on the roof.
The fire was located in the kitchen hood system and extended into the structure, according to Mike Julazadeh with the Charleston Fire Department.
The fire was under control quickly and Julazadeh said there were no injuries.
The blaze damaged the kitchen, a manager's office and one upstairs dining room, according to an Anson manager.
Anson lost electricity and managers said they were facing a massive clean-up effort.
East Bay Street was closed between Market and Hassell streets. Anson Street was closed between Market and Pinckney streets. The roads were reopened shortly before 4 p.m.
Owner Kiara Barnett closed the restaurant for the night. Managers had hoped they would be able to find a different restaurant in which they could operate and open to serve a clientele list of about 650 people Christmas day. However, they were not able to find a location, according to Zack Place, director of operations.
Barnett said the restaurant's kitchen was just cleaned yesterday.
Place said the staff at Anson is probably losing about $2,000 in pay over Christmas Eve and Christmas day. It was slated to be a record-breaking dinner service. He personally called all people who made reservations through Anson to let them know the restaurant would be closed, he said. Diners who had reserved through Open Table were contacted by the online reservation company.
The restaurant moved a lot of its food to its two sister restaurants in Savannah. The restaurant wanted to donate remaining food to a local food bank, managers said.
Place guaranteed the employees of Anson will "be taken care of" through the duration of the closure. He did not know how long the restaurant would remain closed.
Anson Restaurant has been open on Anson Street near the Market since 1991.