Crews work fire at West Ashley laundromat
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- Firefighters battled a blaze at a West Ashley laundromat Sunday afternoon, said Charleston County dispatchers.
The fire was at the Ashley Hall Laundromat at 1636 Ashley Hall Road.
The call came in at about 2:30 p.m., said dispatchers.
Firefighters said crews had to get out of the building while fighting the blaze because the roof started to cave in.
Nearby businesses were also evacuated including the Ballroom Dance Club.
"We were in the middle of a ballroom dance show," said Debbie Housand. "We're in the ballroom dance club and all the sudden, someone at the door said that they smelled smoke and they looked out and the smoke was turning black. So we decided that we better evacuate. Everybody came out to the parking lot and we saw blazes probably seven and eight feet tall."
Dispatchers said crews from Charleston, North Charleston and St. Andrews fire departments responded.
Charleston Fire Department officials said Ashley Hall Road was closed between Sam Rittenberg Boulevard and Orange Grove Road as crews put out the fire.
Firefighters confirmed that only one person was inside the laundromat at the time. Investigators also confirmed the fire started near a commercial dryer towards the back of the business but have not yet determined how it started.