Deputies investigate after boy, 12, dies in house fire
ANDREWS, S.C. (WCIV) - After a 12-year-old died in a mobile home fire early Saturday morning, officials in Georgetown County are investigating his death.
According to the Georgetown County Sheriff's Office, deputies were sent to a mobile home on James Drive in the town of Andrews. One victim was found in the home, officials said.
The coroner's office identified the boy as Dave S. Coombs. An autopsy will be performed Sunday at Medical University Hospital.
Neighbor Everette Langley made the 911 call.
"I started seeing the wires spark," said Langley, a close friend of the family. "Then the next thing you know I'm hearing stuff go boom like bombs, stuff exploding and the house dropping down."
The family of the 12-year-old told deputies that they had recently moved into a new home. The boy attended a birthday party Friday night and ignored calls from his mother, according to the report.
Deputies learned that the boy returned to his old home without letting his family know he was going there.
Now all that's left are burned piece of clothing, broken water pipes, and the memories Langley has of his friend.
"He would call you, text you 'Where you at? You think you can cut my hair now?' that's what I'm going to miss the most. Taking him to basketball practice, seeing him love doing what he loves to do," said Langley.
Officials have not said how the fire started. Deputies are still investigating the case.