By Stacy Jacobsonsjacobson@abcnews4.com
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- Brooke Tesner and her dog Adi took some time to play outside Thursday afternoon, in an effort to find normalcy after a morning that left her in shock.
"The reality of what happened is setting in. This is what I have. This is it," Tesner said as she pointed to the sweatshirt, shorts and flip flops she was wearing.
Tesner is one of 27 people displaced by a fire that happened around 5 a.m. Thursday at the Hampton Oaks Apartments on Rivers Avenue.
Residents said it started in the attic area of one of the buildings.
Tesner said the man who woke her up and got her out alive was her roommate's brother, who had only arrived the night prior.
"We just looked at each other and said, 'We got to go,'" she said.
Her roommate's brother William Buchanan moved from New Mexico to the Lowcountry yesterday.
"I landed at 8 p.m. My sister picked me up. We went back to her place and I got settled in," Buchanan said.
He already was trying to make a new start for himself; his plan was to stay with his sister and Tesner until he got things in order. Now he'll do it with only the clothes on his back.
"Maybe I was meant to be here, I don't know. I knew this was when I wanted to come back but I had no idea I would be grabbing my sisters roommate and dog and we'd be running out of the house," he said.
He called it ironic; now he had more reason than ever, to start over.
The apartment complex told displaced residents it had some vacant apartments and some may be available.
The Red Cross also fed the displaced residents and said it would provide hotel rooms for anyone who needed.