MENU
      component-social-facebook_share_api-v2-01

      Residents of Bull Street home forced out by flames, smoke

      Crews fight fire along Bull Street in Charleston (WCIV)

      CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- Firefighters spent the early morning hours battling a house fire on Bull Street in downtown Charleston. Residents of the home were forced to evacuate.

      "I woke up and my cat was looking outside the window. I got up and there was so much smoke in my room. It was very hot. My mom was running from room to room saying there had been a fire," said resident Maria Faulstich.

      Fire crews responded to the 100 block just before 3 a.m., according to a spokesperson with the Charleston Fire Department.

      CFD officials said fire damage spread through three floors, but was contained to a single unit while adjacent units suffered smoke damage. No injuries were reported.

      Bull Street, Rutledge Avenue, and Ashley Avenue were closed for a time due to the fire.

      As of 7:30 a.m. Bull Street was still closed between Rutledge and Ashley avenues while all other routes had been reopened.

      Fire investigators say the fire started on a stove in one of the units.{}

      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER