MENU

      Electrical fire damages downtown Charleston home, displaces family

      CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) - A home in downtown Charleston was damaged by an electrical fire that started on the first floor early Saturday morning.

      According to Charleston fire officials, crews first arrived at the South Street home minutes after midnight to find one bedroom on fire and smoke spreading through other parts of the home.

      Fire officials said the home was occupied by an elderly woman and three other members of her family. The woman was watching television when the fire started, but the woman's daughter helped her escape the home as the fire spread from the TV to a nearby bed.

      Officials said the fire was contained by 12:15 a.m.

      The bedroom has heavy fire damage and the rest of the first floor has smoke and heat damage, officials said. There is also some smoke damage on the second floor of the home.

      During the investigation, crews found that the fire started near the television cabinet. They also found that two smoke alarms were disabled on the second floor.

      The Red Cross stepped in the help the family.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER