MENU

      Electrical fire shuts down East Bay Street for 2 hours Saturday

      CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- A small fire near an electrical service meter at a downtown Charleston business under renovation shut down traffic on East Bay Street for two hours Saturday.

      According to Charleston Fire Department officials, contractors at the business smelled smoke and found the fire. An employee at a nearby business tried to put it out with a fire extinguisher.

      Fire officials said the fire was contained to a small area in the front of the building, but smoke did spread through the three-story building as well as a restaurant in the building's rear.

      East Bay Street was shut down for two hours while fire officials ventilated the building and put out the fire. A nearby business also closed for a short time, officials said.

      No one was injured in the fire.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER