Father blames Halloween party for son's accident

The photo above was provided by Kenneth Froehlich. It shows his son, Beau Froehlich, at MUSC.

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- A man hit by a drunk driver after the Skinful Halloween Party has yet to open his eyes. Beau Froehlich is in a coma.

The 25-year-old's father, Kenneth Froehlich, blames the event. He said it was out of control.

"I'm glad my son's not dead, but the fact is we have to stop having parties like this," Kenneth Froehlich said.

Beau Froehlich was walking across Folly Road after he left the party to get into a car with a friend when he was hit by a car driven by 31-year-old Matthew Reid Fisher. Fisher was arrested after the accident and charged with felony DUI second degree. Froehlich was taken to MUSC.

"Two lives have been changed forever," Kenneth Froehlich said. "It was the first time my son got excited about going to a party in months. He works, he never goes out, he takes care of his son, he is a very good man."

Kenneth Froehlich described the party as a "sanctioned, legal rave." He described his ride to the scene of the accident as being overcome with taxi cabs with passengers who often opened doors or got out of the cars to relieve themselves.

"My son was served alcohol after 2 a.m.," he said.

Kenneth said his son's vital signs are strong, but admits he is unsure what the end result will be. For now, he is trying to be optimistic while understanding his son's body is working to recover from head trauma, a broken collar bone and a broken arm.

In bond court on Monday Kenneth Froehlich told magistrate judge Linda Lombard he felt empathy for Matthew Fisher, but he requested a high bond.

"I feel that his bond needs to be set very high," Froehlich said. "I feel that he needs to do community service. I think he needs to learn the severity of the consequences for his wrongful choice of action."

Judge Lombard set bond at $25 thousand.

"The problem is this is a party," Lombard said. "Everybody's drinking, they even had shuttle buses so that people wouldn't have to drive or walk. They had shuttle buses to take them back and forth to their cars. Somebody tried really hard to be safe."

Calls to the organizers of the Skinful party were not returned by deadline on Monday evening.