MENU

      Firefighters put out fire at downtown Charleston bakery

      CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- Firefighters were called to Jestine's Sweet Shop Sunday evening after a fire was found in the building.

      According to Charleston fire officials, crews were called to the Wentworth Street shop around 7:15 p.m. and found smoke venting from the first floor. When they entered the building, the found the fire in the back room of Jestine's Sweet Shop.

      The apartments above the shop were evacuated as a safety precaution while firefighters put out the fire, officials said.

      Wentworth Street between King and Meeting streets was closed for a few hours Sunday night.

      In an update Monday afternoon, officials with the fire department said employees tried to put out the fire with an extinguisher, but could not. So an employee ran to the nearby fire station for help. Crews said the fire started in a dryer.Officials said there were no injuries and they do not suspect foul play.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER