Firefighters resuscitate 13-month old pup after house fire

(Brandon Geier/WCIV)

By Valencia

JOHNS ISLAND, S.C. (WCIV) -- When lightning struck and sparked fire at his home, Matt Blue reacted quickly. He called 911. But he soon realized his family's 13-month old golden doodle was stuck inside.

Thankfully, it wasn't long before firemen came to the dog's rescue.

"Felt lightning strike very close to the house and within a minute or two heard a thumping or throbbing sound in the wall," Blue said as he described the moment when the fire began.

Blue's family had just gotten a new puppy named Sawyer. She is a hypoallergenic dog especially picked for the Blue's son.

"Crew of two went up to the second floor, located a stuffed animal dog, found out that wasn't the dog. Made primary searches. Completed on the second, made a primary search on the first floor and that's when we found Sawyer," said David Auricchio, lieutenant for the St. John's Fire District.

Firefighters found Sawyer unconscious.

"They had to do CPR on the dog, which being an ER doctor for 15 years was something new to me," Blue said.

"It's a doggie air mask that we can place right on her muzzle, and it feeds her oxygen just like any other. But, this is designed specifically for dogs," said Jared Michael, one of the firefighters who helped saved Sawyer.

"We live in a day and an age where life is short. Life is precious, and property can be replaced," Blue said. On one hand, I'm thankful that they arrived as quickly as they did. I'm also grateful that nobody was injured."

Blue says he plans to eventually throw a party for the firefighters as a way to show his appreciation.

"It's a great feeling. It means a lot. I know it means a lot to the family, and that's real important to us," said Auricchio. "Make sure they are happy because this is a bad time for them."

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off