Lightning strike causes fire; Puppy saved

(Brandon Geier/WCIV)

JOHNS ISLAND, S.C. (WCIV) -- Firefighters with the St. John's Fire Department were credited Wednesday with bringing a child's puppy back to life.

As the first fire crews arrived to the fire on Regimental Lane they learned everyone had made it out of the home -- everyone except a 13-week-old puppy.

The family had just gotten the dog. The hypoallergenic golden doodle was a gift for a child.

As firefighters rushed in, they first rescued a stuffed animal, but officials say that in good spirits they went back into the home and found the puppy.

The puppy was resuscitated using equipment fire officials say had only been used once prior to Wednesday.

Firefighters with the City of Charleston also responded to the blaze. Charleston Fire Department spokesman Mark Ruppel says the fire was caused by a lightning strike.

Check back with ABC News 4 as we continue to develop this story.