Fires leave multiple buildings charred

Multiple crews respond to Gordon Street fire (WCIV)

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- Multiple fires kept firefighters across the Lowcountry busy late Sunday night and well into Monday morning.

The first fire call went out just before 11:30 p.m. along Gordon Street in Charleston, according to dispatchers.

The home appeared to have sustained heavy damage to the roof.

Officials released a report later on Monday saying the fire was located in the family room and that two residents got out safely.

Investigators found the fire originated near the fireplace and occupants told officials they had put yard waste into the fireplace and used "an ignitable liquid" as well.

Less than an hour later North Charleston firefighters were called to different blaze. That fire on Dover Street did heavy damage to two buildings. So far, there's no word on what caused the second fire.

The Charleston Fire Department would like to remind citizens of the following:

  • Never use ignitable liquids to start a fire.
  • Never burn cardboard boxes, trash, or yard debris in your fireplace or wood stove.
  • Use only seasoned hardwood. Soft, moist wood accelerates creosote buildup.
  • Never leave a fireplace unattended. Extinguish the fire before going to bed or leaving the house.
  • Install smoke alarms on every level of your home and inside and outside of sleeping areas. Test them monthly and change the batteries at least once a year.