Bond court canceled for murder suspect after suicide attempt

Ambulance leaves detention center with Eady after suicide attempt.

CLARENDON COUNTY, S.C.{}(WCIV) -- Bond court for the man accused of killing three women in South Carolina last week was canceled Monday after he tried to end his own life.

Officials at the Clarendon County Detention Center said Jeffrey Eady was supposed to appear in bond court on credit card fraud charges, but the hearing was delayed after Eady tried to kill himself.

Eady was loaded onto a waiting ambulance at the detention center and taken to a nearby hospital. The Clarendon County sheriff said Eady slit his wrists.

It was not immediately clear how Eady managed to find a tool to harm himself.

Deputies said Sunday evening the body of the third murder victim, Sadie Brown, was found in Clarendon County. Eady allegedly murdered{}Brown and two other women, including a store clerk in Adams Run.{}

Clarendon County Sheriff Randy Garrett said the body was recovered around 4:30 p.m. Sunday. It is not known how she was killed, he said. Forensic investigators must finish their work before the body can be sent to Charleston for an autopsy.

Eady was{}wanted in connection to three homicides in South Carolina -- two in Clarendon County and one in Charleston County -- and was arrested Saturday by Florida deputies and U.S. Marshals.

Sunday, he was extradited back to South Carolina.{}

According to a release from the Bay County Sheriff's Office acquired by WMBB, the ABC affiliate in Panama City Beach, Fla., officials pieced together information that Jeffrey Eady was moving through Florida.

Officials told WMBB that Eady was seen Saturday at U.S. Highway 98 and 23rd Street near Gulf Coast State College.

"We don't want somebody like that, dangerous, a fugitive responsible for three murders -- we're going to put every resource we have out there on it to make sure none of us went to bed tonight before he was in custody," said Maj. Tommy Ford with the Bay County Sheriff's Office.

A short time later, Eady was found in Mexico Beach and taken into custody without incident, according to officials. Clarendon County Sheriff R.L. Garrett Jr. said in a joint press conference with Charleston County Sheriff's Office Maj. Jim Brady Saturday night that Eady tried to run from law enforcement but crashed his car and was captured.{}

"It took us all coming together to make sure the sun didn't set before he was in custody," Ford said.

Crystal Johnson, a mother of three, was shot and killed Thursday afternoon while working at her family's convenience store on Savannah Highway, deputies said. Deputies said Eady was the man who pulled the trigger before robbing the small store and heading to Georgia.

Prison officials say Eady was released last year after serving more than a decade for armed robbery.

State Law Enforcement Division officials attended the press conference to praise the inter-departmental cooperation that led to Eady's arrest.


close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off