Gas leak leading to evacuation on St. Phillip Street contained
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- A gas leak near the Charleston Water System building on St. Phillip Street prompted an evacuation Tuesday
According to Mark Ruppel with the Charleston Fire Department, SCE&G and DHEC responded to the scene.
He says a CofC dorm building at 20 Warren St. and Charleston Water Works were evacuated. Ruppel also says CofC sent out a Cougar Alert asking everyone to avoid the area.
"Crews arrived to find a gas line that had been ruptured by construction workers," said Ruppel. "We want people to avoid the area until the active leak can be stopped."
Ruppel said that winds dispersing the gas has helped the situation but people who breathe in the gas could feel sick.
Officials with the college predicted that it would be at least until 4:30 p.m. before the leak is fixed. By 3:50 p.m., however, Ruppel announced the gas leak was fixed and the streets were back open. SCE&G stayed on the scene to continue monitoring the situation