Georgetown business calls it quits after city vote

By Stefanie

GEORGETOWN, S.C. (WCIV) -- A Georgetown businesswoman is calling it quits and is shutting down one of the town's few late-night spots to eat. It comes after a controversial city council vote Thursday night.

Georgetown City Council voted 4 to 3, to close all alcohol-serving businesses at 2 a.m. The closing ordinance is already in effect city-wide, as the law started immediately after the vote on Thursday night.

"I want out. I want out of the City of Georgetown completely", Kathy Mitchum, owner of Katz said.

Katz is located right by the steel and paper mills in Georgetown. It's a place where the late-night mill workers often go to unwind after a long shift, since it's open from 3 p.m. to 6 a.m.

And now, it's for sale.

"All it's going to do is back it up, back it up. Instead of being at 2 a.m. in the morning, it is going to be at one in the morning, and the next thing you know, we are going to have an ordinance that states, 'oh you have to close at 12 now'," Mitchum said.

An amendment was originally proposed by Mayor Jack Scoville that suggested only downtown Front Street bars would have to close at 2 a.m. But, council members voted in the majority to shut down that motion and make the law city-wide.

"Sometimes you have to suffer for other people too, and I hope it doesn't affect her that much. I really don't want it to affect her business that much, but you have to pass a law for the betterment of everybody," said council member Peggy Wayne, who voted for the ordinance. "We're not picking on her, by no means are we picking and choosing with her. We are doing what we think is best for Georgetown."

But what's "best for Georgetown" doesn't seem to include Kathy Mitchum, who's saying goodbye to years of memories and her loyal blue-collar customers.

"I'm going to miss them because they are really great people," Mitchum said. "This business is not just a dollar to me, it's the people who come, the laughs and the fun."

The 2 a.m. closing ordinance is already in effect city-wide. The law started immediately after the city council vote Thursday night.