MONCKS CORNER, S.C. (WCIV) - Sunday's heavy rainfalls have caused portions of pavement around some of the manholes on Red Bank Road to be uplifted near Goose Creek High School.
Berkeley County Water and Sanitation crews have responded and spent much of Sunday afternoon working to access the damage.
Traffic controls were in place and the slow lane and the middle lane of Red Bank Road heading towards the Naval Weapons Stations will be closed. However, both lanes should open back up at the intersection of Bayshore Boulevard and Red Bank Road.
At this time, BCWS officials do not have an estimated time frame regarding the repairs, but they are doing everything possible to minimize the impact to residents, business owners and commuters in the area.
The rain has also caused a few minor sanitary sewer overflows.
The following pump stations have been affected:
- PS003 - Bayshore Drive, Goose Creek
- PS002 - Liberty Hall Road, Liberty Hall Plantation, Goose Creek
- PS014 - Henry Brown Blvd, Between Redbank and Liberty Hall Road, Goose Creek
- PS032 - Janice Street and Ryan's Drive, Ryan's Creek Subdivision, Goose Creek
- PS001 - Red Bank Road and Marrington Avenue, Goose Creek
Berkeley County Water and Sanitation crews are working to correct the system and signs are being posted in the affected areas to notify residents of the overflow.
The areas will be disinfected and deodorized. Residents are asked to avoid any standing water in these areas as a safety precaution.