High speed chase suspect Timothy McManus sentenced

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- The man police say led them on a high speed chase back in January of last year was sentenced Thursday afternoon.

According to his attorney, Timothy McManus is sentenced to 30 months in prison after pleading guilty of being a habitual traffic offender and failure to stop for blue lights.

According to officials with the prison he was arrested at least three times.

Back in August of last year, McManus was arrested a second time after Charleston County Sheriff's deputies found him in a Chevy Suburban, asleep behind the wheel with the SUV still in drive.

McManus was facing charges of driving under suspension third offense (second count), being a habitual offender, borrowing or lending a license tag (the vehicle McManus was operating was not registered through SCDMV but had a tag registered to McManus' wife), and operating an uninsured motor vehicle.

Timothy McManus first made headlines on January 30, 2012, when deputies say he failed to comply to a traffic stop on Hungry Neck Blvd. in Mount Pleasant.

Sheriff Al Cannon said he noticed McManus driving erratically and put on his sirens to pull him over. Instead, Cannon says McManus led deputies on a high speed chase that ran all the way to Steed Creek Road near the Francis Marion National Forest.During the chase, Cannon says he fired nine shots at McManus's tires to try and stop him. Other deputies reported that they also shot at his tires and that's what led to the crash on Steed Creek Road. They also reported that McManus almost ran over several deputies as they were trying to put out stop-sticks to stop his vehicle. Reports say the chase reached a speed of at least 120 miles per hour.After the crash, investigators say McManus resisted arrest and a police dog aided in his capture. A dash cam video was released showing exactly what happened during McManus's apprehension. Questions surfaced regarding the use of a police dog on a suspect that was already on the ground. The ACLU responded calling the videos "disturbing" and suggested a probe into the "appropriateness of police actions."Sheriff Al Cannon also admitted to slapping Timothy McManus while he was handcuffed when he was first taken into custody. His admission sparked online petitions both supporting him and asking for his resignation.

DOJ Civil Rights Division officials told Sheriff Cannon that no violations were committed by either Cannon or his deputies following the pursuit and arrest of McManus. This is according to Sandy Senn who is representing the CCSO. Cannon accepted PTI that was offered for a third degree assault and battery charged filed against him. Cannon is currently completing the pre-trial intervention.

McManus was charged with failure to stop for blue lights and sirens, reckless driving, driving under suspension third offense, and resisting arrest for the January incident.Bond was set back in January for $102,550 on all charges and a request for reduction in February was denied. At that hearing the judge said that when McManus does make bond, he is to remain under house arrest and undergo psychiatric evaluation.

The attorney representing McManus has blamed an addiction to prescription pain killers for his client's actions. He also speculated that McManus was suffering from nerve damage as a result of "injuries he suffered at the hands of an overzealous Sheriff's Department."