Cathcart: If you don't get those cops away from here, I'm gon' kill every one of 'em.

Richard Cathcart III (provided)

MOUNT PLEASANT, S.C. (WCIV) -- Recordings from the standoff between 60-year-old Richard Cathcart III and Mt. Pleasant police have been released and they reveal what cops have said all along: their lives were threatened.

Mount Pleasant police responded to the area around Wappetaw Place in the Parish Place subdivision shortly before 3 p.m. on September 18.

An incident report released by the Mount Pleasant Police Department states that Cathcart's wife, Nancy Cathcart, called police just before 2:30 p.m. and told them her husband had a gun.

Early on in the standoff, officers were informed that Cathcart had been drinking and was on medication. They were also told that he was "bipolar and manic."

A Mount Pleasant Police Department spokesman confirms Cathcart had not been cooperative with negotiators on scene.{}

Recordings reveal that Cathcart called 911, telling them he was armed and that "If you don't get those cops away from here, I'm gon' kill every one of 'em."

Dispatch then tells police that Cathcart said he would come out if they would go away. The officers also learn that Cathcart spent several years on a rifle team in college and they are warned to keep their distance.

SCE&G was called to the scene to cut power to the house and dispatch tells police that Cathcart tried to call his wife. Radio operators note the time as 5:25 p.m.

Around 5:50 p.m., Major Stan Gragg stated that Cathcart came out of his home, pointed a handgun at police and began taunting them.

Feeling threatened, Gragg says that's when the department's SWAT team opened fire.{}

Just before 6 p.m., our ABC News 4 crew reported hearing a series of loud gunshots at the scene.{} Reporter, Nikki Gaskins, said she then saw EMS crews quickly pass them with someone inside.

The Charleston County coroner's office says 60-yearold Richard Cathcart III died about 30 minutes later at the Medical University of South Carolina hospital in Charleston from a gunshot wound to the chest.

The State Law Enforcement Division is investigating.