Man helping with SC fireworks show hurt in blast
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (AP) - A worker at a July Fourth fireworks show in North Myrtle Beach was hurt after a shell exploded prematurely.
City spokesman Pat Dowling says part of the Cherry Grove Pier was damaged in the blast Thursday evening.
The man was taken to Grand Strand Regional Medical Center in Myrtle Beach for treatment. There was no word on his condition early Friday. His name has not been released.
Dowling says the show ended after just six minutes because of the explosion. But Zambelli Fireworks concluded the best way to remove the remaining fireworks was to set them off and did so later.
Dowling says the blast put a hole in the pier and damaged part of the railing. No other damage or injuries were reported.
The fire department is investigating.Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.