MENU
      component-social-facebook_share_api-v2-01

      Home with mattresses in yard destroyed by fire

      By Ava Wilhite awilhite@abcnews4.com

      Charleston, S.C. (WCIV) -- The trailer of an apparent hoarder who was piling smelly mattresses in the front and back yards of his Cainhoy property caught fire overnight.

      "The whole section the whole trailer, everything - all that was up in flames. The flame was high really high," said Mary Mizzell, a neighbor.

      She said she heard a large bang and when she walked outside, she was greeted with the familiar smell of the old mattresses, but now, they were on fire.

      "Whew, God it just stunk. I had a bad headache from it. The fumes- you could just smell the odors of the mattresses and stuff," said Mizzell.

      According to Cainhoy Assistant Fire Chief Steve Goodwin, first responders were called out Saturday just after midnight. He said the house and yard were fully engulfed.

      Goodwin said they don't know if the fire started in the yard or in the house. But no one was inside at the time. He said they expected to make two trips to the house because of all the junk.

      "He's supposed to be cleaning it up and this is what happens," said Mizzell.

      According to the Berkeley County Code and Building Department, the trailer is owned by Edward Martin. Martin is already facing thousands of dollars in fines for the mattresses, but all that remains from the piles are burnt mattress coils.

      Neighbors said they're glad the junk is gone.

      "It's ugly. It's a closure hopefully, a final chapter that's closed in this, because it's been over a year," said Amy, another neighbor.{}

      Goodwin said the trailer is destroyed and the fire is under investigation.

      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER