Mt Pleasant to light up the night with holiday parade
MT. PLEASANT, S.C. (WCIV) -- Officials have released details for this year's holiday parade in Mt. Pleasant.
The 18th Annual Town of Mount Pleasant Christmas Light Parade is scheduled for Sunday, Dec. 8 at 5:45 p.m. It will start on Pelzer Drive and end at Camellia Drive just before Chuck Dawley Blvd.
"Our community does an amazing job of getting everyone in the spirit with incredibly designed and beautifully lit floats," said Special Events Planner Nicole Harvey. "We are thrilled to welcome back the Wells Fargo Stagecoach along with many other local favorites."
Former mayor Billy Swails will be the grand Marshall and floats will be judged by local radio personalities.
Before the parade there is a tree lighting and fireworks display at Moultrie Middle School.
Spectators are asked to arrive early because several roads will be closed to allow time for the floats to line up.
- Northbound lanes from Patriots Point Boulevard to Pelzer Drive and southbound lanes from Pelzer Drive to Houston Northcutt close at 4:00 p.m.
- All lanes from Pelzer Drive to Sea Island Shopping Center close at 5:10 p.m.
- The Old Village will be accessible from McCants Drive via Rifle Range Road.
- Russell Drive will be accessible from Chuck Dawley Boulevard.
- Chuck Dawley Blvd. and Ben Sawyer between Rifle Range and Sea Island Shopping Center will also be closed.
- All roads are typically re-opened around 8 p.m.
Officials say it's best to head south as roads reopen so you won't get stuck behind the end of the parade.
The town will provide some sidewalk seating along the parade route as well as bleachers in front of the Farmers Market Pavilion.
Lit port-o-potties will be available in the lineup area between Metto Coffee and Provincial Circle and in the parade viewing area at the East Cooper School District Office near Moultrie Middle School. Public restrooms are available at Shem Creek Park.