Colleton family escapes overnight fire


RUFFIN, S.C. (WCIV) -- A family was displaced after a fire broke out in their Paps Place home just after midnight Monday.

According to Colleton County Fire and Rescue, firefighters found the one-story wood home with fire shooting through the roof.

Officials said the family had gotten out safely but crews had a hard time getting to the home because it's located off of Red Root Road near the end of a half mile long, narrow dirt road.

Despite the difficulties, the fire was contained within 25 minutes and crews were able to stop the spread of the fire to the rest of the home.

One of the occupants told officials he was watching TV when he smelled smoke. He said he found the fire in the utility room, with flames already reaching the ceiling.

No injuries are reported.

Fire investigators confirm the fire started in the utility room near the area of the gas hot water heater.

The Charleston Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the family.