No one injured in Beaufort High volleyball bus fire

ADAMS RUN, S.C. (WCIV) -- A bus fire stranded the members of the Beaufort High School volleyball team Tuesday night as they were traveling home from a match at Ashley Ridge High School.

According to officials, the bus caught fire on Highway 17 as it was going through Adams Run. No one was injured, officials said.

There were 35 people on the bus at the time of the incident and officials said, they stopped the bus when they smelled something funny. They continued the trip after not finding any problems, but were flagged down shortly before 8 p.m.

According to officials at the school district, the rear wheel was smoldering and everyone was ordered off the bus. A short time later, it burst into flames.

About 85 percent of the bus was damaged in the fire.

Officials have not commented on what exactly sparked the fire.

The bus was determined to be a total loss on Wednesday. It will have to be replaced, officials said, but it was covered by insurance. The school said it has enough activity buses to cover trips while a new bus is delivered.

The team returned home around 10 p.m., officials said.