North Charleston community leaders ask SLED for help

By Bill

NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- Officials with the North Charleston Police Department haven't made any arrests in three New Year's Day shootings.

Community leaders gathered Friday and called for additional help in solving the shootings, in which two women died and a third was hospitalized.

"Three women. Gunned down. Less than 24 hours. I think it's serious," said Elder James Johnson of Tri-County National Action Network.

James and other community leaders in North Charleston say the recent gun violence that killed two women and scared people in numerous neighborhoods is a call to action.{}

The leaders met outside a house on Niagara Street where one of the shootings took place.

"National Action Network has fired off a letter to SLED asking them to assist North Charleston in this investigation," said Elder James Johnson.

He said the letter isn't meant to undermine the work of local police.{} They simply want extra manpower to help the detectives solve the crimes.

"These perpetrators has to be off the streets.{} They're very dangerous," said Johnson. "We don't know if they're finished.{} But we want the community involved.{} They have to be caught."

The group also wants to meet with prosecutors to promote tougher gun laws.{}

Community leaders are also encouraging neighbors to work with police, especially texting crime tips.

"We have to talk to our solicitor.{} You get caught with an illegal gun., you shouldn't bail yourself out in three or four days or a week," said Charles Tyler, a community organizer.

"Contact law enforcement.{} Let law enforcement know about the problems that are existing in our community.{} When. Where. How. Who. If the community would get involved, then we can win this," added Pastor Thomas Dixon, a civil rights activist.

North Charleston Police Chief Eddie Driggers tells ABC News 4 his department is already in contact with SLED and other local agencies in trying to make an arrest.


911 calls show fear in early moments after shootings

The first call to dispatchers from the New Year's Day shootings came from Aintree Avenue.

"She went through the door. Somebody shot through the door," the caller told dispatchers. "I need help!"

A police report shows Sabrina Green was struck in the head.

Her husband told a dispatcher about gunfire through the house and then he tried to calm his wife.

"Don't move Sabrina. Lay down. Don't move. Oh Lord have mercy," he said.

Green survived the attack but was rushed to the hospital.

A short time later, gunfire rattled a home on Niagara Street.

"My mama just got shot," the caller told dispatchers.

Janet Royal's son called for help. Again, gunfire rang out as a bullet struck another innocent victim.

"Sir is there any serious bleeding?" the dispatcher asked.

"Yeah. There's a lot of bleeding," the caller replied.

Royal died from her injuries.

Just before 7 p.m. on Jan. 1, another person was shot and another 911 call was made.

"I was in my room and I heard a shot and she screamed. Mama!" the caller said.

These shots came from Ventura Drive.

Debra Randall's daughter tried to comfort her.

"Mama just lay there. I got you. Just lay there. You gonna be alright," she can be heard saying on the call.

The daughter told dispatchers she didn't think her mother's attacker was still nearby, but she said she was scared and that she didn't think her mother was breathing.

Not long after the call, Randall died.

North Charleston police are still looking for anyone who may be involved in the murders.