Officials: 2 pets die in home where batteries were removed from smoke alarms

      JOHN'S ISLAND, S.C. (WCIV) - Firefighters were called to akitchen fire on John's Island Wednesdayafternoon.

      According to officials, thefire started in the kitchen of a home on Anglers Pond Lane shortly before 2 p.m.Officials say two pets died in the fire, but the family living there managed toevacuate before being injured.

      During the investigation,officials found that the batteries had been removed from the smoke alarms. Theowner of the home said he had removed them.

      Fire officials said the firecould have been fatal if the fire had started in the middle of the night.

      Fire officials stressed theneed to have working fire alarms in homes, adding that the time change comingthis weekend is a good time to test the batteries.