Part of Cannon Street shut down after gas leak report
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) - Part of a downtown Charleston road was shut down Tuesday morning while firefighters investigated reports of a gas leak.
Officials with the Charleston Fire Department said investigators are focused on 129 Cannon Street. An SCE&G crew is currently at the scene.
Officials said a gas leak has not been found at this time and firefighters have searched almost all of the building.
Fire officials expect the roadway to be cleared before noon.
A few minutes before the Cannon Street call, firefighters responded to a similar, but unrelated call of a gas leak on upper King Street. Investigators did not find a leak and believe the smell was related to mothballs or other items in the building.