Patient admitted to MUSC for flesh-eating bacteria
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV)-- A spokesperson with MUSC confirms that a patient has been admitted to the Charleston hospital to be treated for a flesh-eating bacteria.
The patient was actually treated in late February/early March and has since been released from the hospital.
Barry Ginn, of Hilton Head, said he thought something was wrong when he felt a pain in his shoulder. What he thought was just a torn rotator cuff turned out to be much more: he had necrotizing fasciitis.
"They called all by friends and family and said I had maybe eight hours to live," said Ginn. "My kidneys failed...my heart failed...not only is it eating your flesh.. its really making your mind mush."
Doctors at MUSC were able to save his arm, even though it had gotten to the point to where Ginn and his family were ready to amputate.
"I have an arm and I have a life and I thank God for that," he said.
News of Ginn's ordeal comes just a day after a mother in Greenville was hospitalized for what doctors say is a rare flesh-eating infection. The 36-year-old mother said in an interview that she noticed a spot on the back of her left leg after giving birth to twins.
Meanwhile, a Georgia graduate student is fighting the same type of infection. Doctors say Aimee Copeland lost a leg and could lose all her fingers from the infection that spread days after she suffered a deep cut while zip-lining.
We will have a face-to-face interview with Mr. Ginn right here on ABC News 4 at 11 p.m. You can watch our live stream by clicking here.