Report: Man arrested for manufacturing explosive device

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- A Charleston man was charged with violating the South Carolina Explosives Control Act after officers found Muriatic Acid, lighter fuel and tightly rolled pieces of tin foil in his home, said officials with the Charleston Police Department.According to the police report, officers were called to an apartment on 1850 Pebble Road where agents with the Dorchester County Probation and Parole were conducting a home visit.The probation officers told police officers they had information that the man who lived in the apartment, William Floyd Whitfield III, 33, had made threats, the police report states.Agents said Whitfield gave them consent to search the apartment where they found several bottles of Muriatic Acid, multiple tin cans of lighter fuel and pieces of tightly rolled up tin foil in a large tool box.According to the report, Whitfield said he used the items to make "poppers." He told officers he would mix the Muriatic Acid and tin foil in different bottles and the bottles would expand until they popped.Section 23-36-30 of the South Carolina Explosives Control Act defines an explosive as, "any chemical compound, mixture, or device, the primary or intended common purpose of which is to function by explosion." The act defines a blasting agent as "any material or mixture, consisting of fuel and oxidizer, intended for blasting not otherwise defined as an explosive."Agents also found a BB gun, a black cap gun and two ski masks in Whitfield's bedroom, the report states.According to the report, Whitfield said he liked to scare his family and friends while wearing the masks and carrying the guns, but he said he would never hurt anyone. A crime scene tech and the bomb squad were called to the home, agents said. According to the report, Whitfield was taken to police headquarters where he spoke with detectives.Whitfield was arrested for manufacturing and possession of a destructive device after evidence was collected by agents and bomb technicians. Agents said he also had an outstanding warrant from Dorchester Probation and Parole. His bond was set at $75,000.