Sanford, Colbert Busch out campaigning in 1st District

      CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP/WCIV) - Former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford is taking to the campaign trail again in the 1st Congressional District.

      Sanford has several appearances Monday in the Charleston area and has invited Democrat Elizabeth Colbert Busch to join him. But the Colbert Busch campaign says she has an aggressive campaign schedule of her own.

      On Sunday, Colbert Busch spent her Sunday knocking door-to-door in West Ashley, speaking with voters about her "plans to create jobs and get our fiscal house in order."

      "Elizabeth is thoroughly enjoying talking with South Carolina voters - she has held nine public events over the past eight days, and she'll have a robust public schedule in the coming week to talk with voters - including a major rally at Burke High School on Wednesday night. Once again, voters can't trust anything Mark Sanford says about Elizabeth," said Colbert Busch's communications adviser, James Smith.

      Sanford says the candidates need to meet face-to-face. There's only one joint appearance in the campaign scheduled - a radio debate sponsored by the Patch news service and the South Carolina Radio Network April 29.

      "I'm really looking forward to the debate on April the 29th," she said. "We have a full agenda and have to meet those commitments we already have. But I'm looking forward to debating him on the 29th."

      Sanford cut back on public appearances last week after news that his former wife Jenny had filed a trespassing complaint against him in Family Court.

      The candidates are seeking the House seat previously held by U.S. Sen. Tim Scott.