SCDOT postpones I-26 tree removal hearing
COLUMBIA, S.C. (WCIV) -- The South Carolina Department of Transportation announced Friday afternoon that it was postponing a public hearing on the proposed removal of trees along Interstate 26.
The announcement came after a meeting earlier in the week with the Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Council of Governments vetoed the removal of trees along the interstate.
"Withthe outcome of the meeting this week with the BCD COG and the establishment ofthe ad-hoc committee reviewing the proposed project, we will be delaying the publichearing until a clear project plan can be developed and presented to thepublic," said Tony Sheppard, Director of Traffic Engineering. "SCDOT looksforward to working with the COG's committee to seek alternative solutions thatcan be put before the public for review."
The plan to remove the trees is estimated to cost $5 million. The section of highway is one of the deadliest in the state with some 2,000 accidents. There have been 44 fatalities and more than 700 injuries, officials said.
A new date has not been announced.