St. George police chief accused of stealing more than $14,000

Britt's mug shot.

ST. GEORGE, S.C. (WCIV) -- Former St. George Police Chief Anthony Britt was arrested Tuesday as state investigators continue their investigation into the police department.

The State Law Enforcement Division charged Britt with embezzlement of more than $10,000 and misconduct in office. Investigators accused Britt of depositing more than $14,000 into his personal bank account. The checks were made out to the St. George Police Department.

Warrants show that Britt embezzled money between November 2009 and May 2013 and would endorse checks made out to the police department and deposit them into his personal bank account.

He was released on a personal recognizance bond under the condition that he not leave the state.

Britt handed in his resignation and as officials look for his replacement, the State Law Enforcement Division launched an investigation. St George Mayor Anne Johnston confirmed Chief Britt submitted his resignation letter to her at 3:55 p.m. on Friday August 23. The letter was written on Thursday and Johnston said Britt gave no indication as to why he was leaving. She said he didn't tell her anything when he dropped off the letter other than that he was resigning effective immediately.ABC News 4 confirmed with SLED that they have an investigation underway involving the St. George PD but they would not confirm the investigation's focus.

In July, SLED officials confirmed they were investigating the St. George Police Department.

According to the Post and Courier, town officials said the investigation centers around an awards ceremony and how the department's chief spends money confiscated in drug cases.

Mayor Anne Johnston told the Post and Courier she was going over town bank account records when she noticed discrepancies in how funds were handled.

She told ABC News 4 in July that she became aware of money paid to the town that she can't track to a town account. She also said the SLED investigation is ongoing and for that reason, they've asked her not to say much more about it.Johnston said Monday that Lt. Trumaine Moorer was the second in command and is now the temporary acting police chief. Johnston said they will now begin accepting applications for police chief and narrow the choices down to the top three. Council and town officials will then interview the top three candidates and vote on who will fill the chief position. Johnston said she suspects the process will take at least three months.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off