Street closures for the 2015 Cooper River Bridge Run
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- The following streets will be closed due to runners participating in the 2015 Cooper River Bridge Run. All information provided by the Charleston City Police and Mt. Pleasant Police.FRIDAY, MARCH 27Hampton Park will close Friday, March 27 at 11 a.m. at all entrances until 7 p.m.
- George St. between Meeting and Anson streets will be closed at 10 p.m. on Friday, March 27, until 2 p.m. Saturday, March 28
- Meeting St. between George and Wentworth will close Friday, March 27, at 10 p.m. The Northbound Lane of Meeting St. from George to Calhoun will remain open; the southbound lane of Meeting St. from George to Calhoun will be closed for traffic. Traffic will be re-opened on Saturday, March 28 following Finish Line cleanup, around 2 p.m.
Mount Pleasant Side of the Cooper River Bridge Run
- 4:30 a.m. Race route closed - Chuck Dawley to Whilden St. on Coleman Blvd.Officers will divert northbound Coleman traffic down Whilden St.
- 5 a.m. Shuttles begin running. Pickup locations for Mount Pleasant:Towne CenterWhitesides Elementary SchoolLaing Middle SchoolShuttles will return participants to Mt Pleasant from finish line.6:30 a.m. Whilden to Houston Northcutt will be closed to vehicle traffic.Houston Northcutt traffic will be diverted towards the Ravenel.West Coleman traffic will be diverted onto Houston Northcutt. Wheelchair athletes escorted to start line.
- 7 a.m. Closure of Ravenel Bridge (both directions)Race route in Mt Pleasant completely secured.Wheelchair athletes warming up on course.
- 7:15 a.m. Vehicle parade begins for wheelchair athletes.
- 7:25 a.m. Wheelchair race starts.
- 8 a.m. Cooper River Bridge Run begins.
- 10:30 a.m. Approximate time for straggler bus to begin on Mount Pleasant side.
- 11 a.m. Approximate time for Ravenel Bridge to re-open.
- Calhoun St. between Meeting to Anson streets will be closed to all traffic from noon until 1 p.m.; residential limited traffic only until 4:30 a.m. when the road will be closed entirely.
- Calhoun St. between King and East Bay streets will be closed on Saturday, March 28, at 4:30 a.m. until 1 p.m. or until CPD decides to reopen.
- George Street - East Bay Street to Anson Street from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Anson Street - Calhoun to Laurens Street will be closed 4:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Alexander Street from Charlotte St to George Street from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Charlotte Street - Elizabeth to Meeting Street- from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Henrietta Street - Elizabeth to Meeting Street from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Elizabeth Street - Calhoun to Charlotte Street- from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Meeting Street from John to Wentworth will be closed at 4:30 a.m. with early openings happening following the race participants leaving the route and the route being cleaned (EST 1130-2 p.m.). Wentworth and Society will flow until 7 a.m. unless pedestrian traffic forces early closure.
- Arthur Ravenel Bridge Wonderway Lane will be closed by CPD at 6:30 a.m. to clear the bridge of pedestrian traffic UNTIL Bridge is re-opened following the race.
- Race Route and support streets will be closed at 7 a.m. until the participants are finished and the roadways are cleaned (est. 11:30-12:00). The entire Arthur Ravenel Bridge will be closed until the participants have cleared the bridge, support staff removed, barricades removed, and the bridge cleaned of any debris.