Suspects tied to deadly shooting appear in court

By Nikki

MONCKS CORNER, S.C. (WCIV) Three suspects tied to a deadly officer involved shooting appeared in bond court Tuesday night.

Police say Robert Holmes, Denzel Washington, and Brittany Fleck were pulled over for an illegal window tint.

The trouble started; however, when they say a fourth person in the car, 22-year-old Travis Miller, tried to run from police and fired shots at officers. Cops fired back, killing him.

On Tuesday evening, a judge set bond for the other people inside the car, but the judge says they won't get out right away since they face pending charges from the city of Hanahan.

Holmes, Washington, and Fleck faced the judge separately, all charged with marijuana possession and disorderly conduct.

In court, the judge first asked Fleck if she understood the charges.

"Yes, ma'am," she replied. "But I don't understand why."

Fleck told the judge she was confused by the charges.

"I just, I was caught -- a victim of circumstances. I really didn't know what was going on," Fleck told the judge.

Late Monday night, Hanahan police placed Fleck and her two friends in handcuffs, charging them with two misdemeanors. Police say the main trouble started, when Miller ran into the woods near Dakota Street and started shooting at them.

"You will not be released tonight -- there's a hold on you pending some additional charges," the judge told Holmes.

Shaking his head and placing his hands over his face, the judge told Holmes and the others that they have a hold on their release from jail due to pending charges from the city of Hanahan.

"When will I find out what the other charges are?" asked Holmes.

"I imagine you would know by in the morning," said the judge.

Last to face the judge was Washington. He too was confused by the charges.

"I really want to know how I get charged with disorderly conduct when I ain't did nothing, though," Washington said to the judge.

All three will face a judge in Hanahan municipal court on Sept. 11 at 9 a.m.

The officer involved in the deadly shooting has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of a State Law Enforcement Division investigation.