Teen admits to setting hospital bathroom on fire

WALTERBORO, S.C. (WCIV) -- A Walterboro teen admitted to police he set fire to a Colleton Medical Center bathroom on Sunday.

According to a police report, the teen had been admitted to the hospital two days earlier for treatment. He told staff members he had to use the bathroom, but when he returned the report states, the fire alarm was triggered by the flames.

A staff member was able to put the fire out quickly and found a lighter and cigarette butt in the bathroom, according to the report.

When police arrived, the teen told officers he had set the fire with the cigarette and lighter given to him by his brother. He told officers that he set the box of paper seat covers on fire, the report states.

Police released the boy into the custody of his mother and told her they would also be talking to the brother who allegedly gave the teen the lighter.