Where will the bones found at the Gaillard go?

      By Stefanie

      CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) - In February, 37 graves were discovered during the construction at the Gaillard Auditorium in Downtown, Charleston. Since then, it's been a waiting game of what to do with the human remains found.

      Under South Carolina statute, 30 days notice must be given to the community when graves are discovered before the governing body of the city or county determines what to do with the remains.

      Considering that the bones are from the 17th and 18th century, the likelihood of finding family members to claim the bones was slim, according to City of Charleston officials.

      On Tuesday at 5 p.m., Charleston City Council will meet and determine the outcome of what to do with the remains after being presented with options.

      Senior Archaeologist of the project, Eric Poplin, says some of the options could include reburial in a different location or reburial back on the Gaillard property.

      Poplin says all bones have been removed from the construction site and have been held in a secure location waiting for the decision from City Council. Also, for archaeologist to do more research and analysis on the bones it has to be approved by the City.

      According to Poplin, a total of 37 graves were discovered at the Gaillard construction site. The age identities of 35 of the graves have been made in 31 adults, 3 children, and 1 infant. Poplin says they could only identify that there are 5 males and 5 females.

      "The whole experience has been interesting and different in that I've never excavated a site quite this early in time," Senior Archaeologist Eric Poplin says.

      The graves are thought to go back as far as the{}1690's to the 1740's.