MENU

      Woman injured in kitchen fire in West Ashley

      WEST ASHLEY, S.C. (WCIV) -- A woman cooking at a West Ashley apartment was burned when the oil she was using caught fire and she tried to put it out with water.

      According to Charleston Fire Department officials, crews from four agencies responded to a Carriage Lane apartment after a woman moved burning oil from her stovetop to the kitchen sink.

      When the woman turned on the faucet to put out the fire, the oils splashed her, burning her hands. She was taken by EMS to a nearby hospital, officials said.

      The kitchen had some smoke damage, but only the pot was damaged by fire.

      Fire officials offered several tips for cooking safely, including to never leave food or cooking oils unattended, to refrain from using a stove if you're sleepy, and to never use water on a grease fire.

      Instead, putting a lid on the pot or using a fire extinguisher would take care of the fire, officials said.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER