Woman loses everything in Georgetown fire, rescued by firemen

GEORGETOWN, S.C. (WCIV) Thirteen people lost their homes and all of their belongings Wednesday's fire on Front Street in Georgetown.{}

Kathy McWilliams was one of them. Even though she had grown up in Georgetown, she had just recently moved back to the area after living in San Francisco.

"I want to be back near my children," said McWilliams. "I lost everything.{} I don't have a home.{} I don't know what I'm going to do."

Unfortunately, McWilliams says she didn't have renter's insurance.

For her and everyone else devastated by the fire, the view was a scene right out of an action movie.

Early Wednesday morning, McWilliams was awakened by a noise similar to fireworks.

"I heard, crack, pop, crack, pop-pop, pop, crack. So I was like what is that?" said McWilliams.

McWilliams quickly learned a fire was spreading rapidly through her building and went to wake her roommate immediately.

"We were trying to put the fire out.{} And she burned her feet.{} I got smoke inhalation.{} I mean we were doing everything," she said. "Until those firemen came in and grabbed us and made us leave, we were trying to save our life, our things."

From across the street, McWilliams watched her belongings burn to the ground but is grateful the firemen came when they did.

"If we would have waited ten more minutes when it (the building) blew up, we would have been dead," she said.

While the only thing left of her apartment is smoldering ash and debris, McWilliams says she appreciates how the community has come together to help those who lost everything and are forced to start over from scratch.