Replace stress with success in 2018 | Kelly's Charleston Challenge
When you wake up in the morning, are you fired up, motivated and ready to be as successful as you can be? Or do you dread what is ahead of you for the day?
This time of year, with everyone talking about resolutions, and "new year, new me," it's easy for many of us to feel as though we have more stresses than successes in our life.
But what is success? Dictionary.com defines success a few different ways.
- “The favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors."
- 'The accomplishment of one's goals.”
- “The attainment of wealth, position, honors, or like.”
Countless studies have been done on the success of an individual, and what makes someone to be more successful than others.
Success means something different to every individual, but many people commonly tie their success to family, job, location, education, personality, goals, responsibility, wealth, and personal belongings.
Similarly, the characteristics of people society has deemed successful often include self worth and belief, discipline, focus, confidence, passion, imagination, and vision.
So, achieving success largely depends on which achievements and characteristics you personally equate with success, and setting goals to achieve those things.
A good place to start may be to define specific characteristics that helped lead to past successes in your life. From there, you can figure out how to take your success to new and exceeding levels, or to where you would like to be.
If you're having trouble, it's always good to look to our mentors and role models for a little guidance.
Below are words of wisdom from very “successful people,” many from businesses that you will recognize.
- “Keep your mouth shut today, and see if you feel the same way tomorrow.” - Warren Buffett, CEO / Chairman of Berkshire Hathaway)
- “Never to look back in regret but to move on to the next thing.” - Richard Branson, Virgin Group
- “There’s a finite time you’re going to be doing this. Do it really really well.” - Terry Lundgren, CEO, Macy’s
- “It’s good to solicit your people’s opinions before you give them yours.” - Lloyd Blankfein, CEO, Goldman Sachs).
- “You gotta learn to listen.” - Maureen Chiquet, CEO, Chanel
- “If you’re not getting told “no” enough times a day, you’re probably not doing it right, or you’re probably not pushing yourself hard enough.” -Shafqat Islam, CEO / co-founder, Newscred
- “Follow your instincts and take risks.” - Tory Burch, CEO / co-founder, Tory Burch
- “I can’t recall a day where my dad didn’t tell me, you can do anything. It wasn’t until decades later that I fully appreciated the importance of those words and the impact they had on me.” -Jeff Weiner, CEO, LinkedIn
- “We initiate change right now. There are endless starting points.” - Arianna Huffington, Co-founder / Editor-in-chief, The Huffington Post
- “Stop being an idiot; all that matters is growth.” - Eric Schmidt, General Manager, Google
- “Surround yourself with good people. And part of that is surrounding yourself with people who think differently than you.” -Kenneth Burdick, President / COO, WellCare Health Plans
- “If you’re passionate about something go for it, because people are good at what they love.” -Jennifer Hyman, CEO / Co-founder, Rent The Runway
KELLY'S CHARLESTON CHALLENGE
It is a new year. Many resolutions are being set. Some people are tight on finances from the holidays. It seems like there are more stresses than successes this time of year. I challenge you to re-read through these quotes, or look some up on your own. Do any of them jump out to you personally? Could you see where taking some of their advice could help you personally become more successful? My challenge to you this week is just to think, observe yourself and what you could possibly take from this.
(Kelly Thompson is a certified personal trainer who writes a fitness blog, Kelly's Charleston Challenge, for ABC News 4. If you have any questions, or need any suggestions, reach her via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the hashtag #KellysCharlestonChallenge on social media.)