MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Candle left at home unattended causes fire on Poinsett Street, investigators say

Residential fire Poinsett Street (Source Charleston Fire Department Facebook)

Wednesday night, Charleston County dispatch received a call about a structure fire on Poinsett Street.

Charleston and North Charleston Fire Departments, Charleston County EMS, and Charleston PD were called to the scene.

The emergency personnel arrived to the scene immediately and reported smoke and fire coming from one unit of a story residential duplex.

Firefighters were able to quickly put out the fire limiting damage to just one unit in the duplex.

Investigators have determined that the cause of the fire originated in the living room area.

The unit’s occupant left a candle burning in the room when they left home and investigators believe the candle was the source of ignition.

Investigators report that there were no working smoke alarms in the unit.

One adult and one dog were displaced from the fire unit. The adjoining unit in the duplex was evacuated, displacing another adult and one additional dog.

The Charleston Fire Department would like to remind residents:

  • Never leave candles burning unattended.
  • Install and maintain smoke alarms.
  • Call your local fire department if you need a smoke alarm installed.
  • Plan, prepare, and practice a home escape plan

Trending