MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Contractor taken to hospital after reported explosion at Roper St. Francis building

Photo from the scene (WCIV)

The North Charleston Fire Department is responding to what was reported as an explosion at the Roper St. Francis office building in the 8500 block of Palmetto Commerce Parkway.

EMS and NCPD are also responding.

Roper St. Francis spokesperson Meredith Huggins said a contractor working in an electrical room on the first floor of the facility opened a panel and there was some sort of "spark." Another worker was in the room and immediately grabbed a fire extinguisher, she said.

Huggins said the fire alarm was activated and the building was evacuated of its 600 employees.

The worker who opened the electrical panel was transported to a hospital. Huggins said there's no word on the severity of that worker's injuries. The other worker who grabbed the fire extinguisher was treated on the scene.

Power has been shut off to the entire building while crews investigate.

We have reached out to officials with the North Charleston Fire Department and we are awaiting more info.

Check back with ABC News 4 as we continue to follow this story.

Trending