MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Harleyville fire Wednesday leaves one man dead, space heater blamed

Dorchester County Fire Rescue

For the second time this week, Dorchester County Fire Rescue officials say a person has died in a home fire caused by a space heater.

Dorchester County Coroner Paul Brothers says Desmon Javon Edwards Johnson, 29, died inside his home on 2nd Bend Road in Harleyville as a result of a fire that started early Wednesday morning.

Firefighters were dispatched to the home shortly after 2:30 a.m. Wednesday, according to Dorchester County Fire Rescue officials.

Crews arrived at the house minutes later to find the mobile home engulfed with heavy smoke and flames, officials say.

It took firefighters approximately 45 minutes to get the fire under control, at which point the home was searched and Johnson's body discovered, according to DCFR.

No one else was hurt, but three people have been displaced as a result of the fire, officials say. The Red Cross is helping the family.

A space heater has been ruled the cause of the fire, DCFR officials say. A 68-year-old Reevesville man also died in a mobile home fire caused by a space heater early Tuesday morning, according to Fire Rescue.

Fire officials say the South Carolina Fire Marshal's Office reports Wednesday's death as the 92nd related to fire in South Carolina in 2017, and the eighth related to a home heating device.

The SC Law Enforcement Division, Dorchester County Fire Rescue, Dorchester County Sheriff's Office, and the Dorchester County Coroner's Office are investigating.


close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending